Header

Header
HOME

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Is Your Burden Heavy?--It Shouldn't Be


Hello, everyone!  I haven't posted for the past few weeks as I've been out of town.  It has been a complex, rewarding, at times devastating, unexpectedly healing experience that has been altogether spiritually bananas!

God is always movin' and groovin' whether we are tuned into Him and or not.  I am tuned-in in a way that I've never been before and observing His ways has been nothing short of incredible.

I knew that I wanted to share my experiences with you all, but they soon became so numerous that I was stumped as to how to do it.  Two or three days ago my dad was relaying an epiphany he had regarding some of the issues going on in our family, and the epiphany was centered around this passage:

Matthew 11:28-30
Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yolk upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.
There are many feelings and emotions that that we simply accept as being part of the normal human experience.  Anger, fear, regret, worry, anxiousness, fretfulness, resentment, sorrow, disappointment--we almost never associate with them sinning.  And, suffering is just part of our experience here on earth, right?

My dad said, "I was reflecting on the question of 'if we love the Lord and are doing our best to live right and serve Him, why are we so miserable in our suffering?' when I realized that if our burden is heavy, it is not of God."

Holy Moly!

It is indeed our human fate to acquire burdens.  But, it is a lack of understanding (scripture that is) which propels us to keep holding on to these burdens.

There is so much FREEDOM in that concept for me.  These were the types of issues I had been facing while on the road--issues where I wasn't in the wrong per se, but there was indeed a more godly way to approach the situation.

I was so stressed out, so filled with anxiety and dread about the first part of my road trip.  I certainly had just cause to feel that way, but that burden was not God's.  So, I focused on being thankful and it filled my heart with joyful gratitude.

His burden is Joy.
Me visiting Charlie the alligator at the
Amite, LA fire department.
At one point I was exceedingly uncomfortable in my environment.  I absolutely had a reason to feel that way, but that burden was not God's.  So, I committed to having a good attitude and the heart of a servant.  And wouldn't you know, the very things that I ended up doing to serve served to make me much more comfortable.  

His burden is Comfort.
I got to cook for my in-laws for the
first time. What a treat!!
Then we got word that my mother-in-law has treatable but not curable cancer.  My husband is devastated, terrified, distraught, but that burden is not God's.  I encourage him.  I remind him that it does not end with the grave.
His burden is Hope.

My mother-in-law holding my son
for the first time. 
My friend called me for advice.  She was fretful.  She wanted to rush to the side of a friend who was in the midst of a mess of her own making.  I reminded her that making the problem's of others your own is not a burden of God's. 

His burden is Peace.
My girls trying to be quiet early in the
morning.

Be anxious for nothing for His burden is Provision.  Let not your heart be troubled for His burden is Life.  Don't be discouraged by your suffering.  His burden is Grace.  Don't be distracted by regret.  His burden is Forgiveness.  Do not be devastated by loss for His burden is Victory.

I beg of you to claim His promises and focus not on what was taken but by what you have received through that loss--not on what has been lost, but on what has been gained.  Let us not dwell on what we missed but rather rejoice in what we avoided.  And may you see that this door is not closed, it's simply blocked by the door that is open.

Our precious Savior is the epitome of this principle.  As He hung dying on the cross, He didn't look around at all the people on the hill with resentment, He didn't regret not disappearing in the Garden of Gethsemane.  He wasn't angry at humanity. He wasn't anxious about how long His suffering would last....

He said, "Forgive them for they know not what they do." because His burden is salvation.

 
I am tickled pink to have subscribers!  Thanks so much for having an interest in my crazy, crazy thoughts!  I welcome and all feedback via comments on the post or a note to nylacjames@gmail.com.

For anyone else who would like to Subscribe to Meds, Coffee and Prayer, please remember to look for an email from Feedburner requesting that you activate your Subscription.

I'll be out of town for a couple more weeks, so until next time.....all my crazy, crazy love....

~me~